We are looking for a group of individuals to work with the Yeovil Art Space team and the South Somerset Heritage Collection (SSHC) to produce a series of heritage displays as part of the Story of Yeovil Public Programme responding to three themes: View of Yeovil, Sound of Yeovil and Taste of Yeovil.
Participants will be part of a self-led group, working collaboratively with fellow group members and us to identify collections and artefacts that connect to the stories of Yeovil. We hope the group will also help us to identify gaps in the collections and discuss different ways to share heritage stories with the public in the future.
By taking part, you will:
– Be invited to visit the South Somerset Heritage Collection
– Attend regular meetings and work collaboratively to identify objects and materials for the display
– Have the chance to bring your ideas and share these with your fellow participants and the wider public
– Learn more about the curation and interpretation of heritage exhibitions and gain hands-on experience in creating heritage displays
– Meet other like-minded individuals and make positive contributions to the town
Yeovil Art Space can offer volunteer expenses to cover the cost of travel, childcare and meeting refreshments. We welcome people from different backgrounds and ages to join us. You don’t need any previous experience in working with heritage collections, as long as you are keen to learn, be creative and willing to share Yeovil’s heritage with more people.
Participants also have the opportunity to join the volunteer group at the South Somerset Heritage Collection.
If you are interested in joining the group, please fill in the online form via the link below. You will be also invited to attend the introductory session on Friday 14th April from 2pm to 4pm at South Somerset Heritage Collection to find out more about the project before fully committing. – There will still be opportunities to get involved throughout the Story of Yeovil project, for more information please contact our Engagement Coordinator Emma on email@example.com